Pistol 101 - 2 day course
Prerequisite Class(s): None-entry level course
ALL students must show photo ID at Sign-in, regardless of age!
The Pistol 101 course is intended for anyone regardless of your previous shooting experience. Design to take you from knowing nothing about firearms to being comfortable with a firearm and by the end of class being able to draw and fire 2 sighted rounds into the center of a target 5 yards away in 1.5 seconds or less! You will learn the proper way to handle a firearm, disassembly, assembly, cleaning, and nomenclature, basic marksmanship, firearm safety and range safety and a qualifying course of fire. These courses fill up fast so sign up ASAP! 2 day course
Lecture Topics include:
Use of deadly force and the law, color code of mental awareness, civil liability, weapon and ammunition selection, zeroing, sight adjustments and more.
Firing Range Drills:
Loading and unloading, grip, stance, sight picture, sight alignment, and trigger control, presentation for the ready, the holster, target engagement from arm’s length to 15 yards under time pressure, malfunction clearing, speed and tactical reloading, and more.
Firearm, Equipment and Ammo Requirements:
- The weapon must be fully functional, have all the factory-installed safety devices intact, and have no dangerous modifications (such as a “hair” trigger less than 4 pounds (for double action (DA) pistols, this refers to the initial trigger press when the pistol is decocked), removed trigger guard, etc.)
- “pocket pistols” are not allowed due to their very small size and difficulty of use.
- Holsters must be on the belt, correctly fit the weapon, completely cover the trigger guard, remain open when the weapon is removed, not allow the weapon to cover the shooter’s body, and not have a trigger guard retention device (such as the Blackhawk Serpa model and others) No thigh rigs, cross-draw, etc.
- Minimum of three magazines and two single or one double magazine pouch is recommended. Magazine pouches worn on the belt on the side opposite the handgun, speed loaders worn in front of the holster.
- Electronic hearing protection is mandatory for all courses.
- Sturdy belt, impact resistant eye protection, are mandatory for this course.
- Hat with brim, loose pants, comfortable shoes or boots, sun screen etc. recommended
- 16 or 17 years old, are welcome to take the class alone as long as a parent or guardian is onsite at all times, the parent or guardian can be enrolled in a different course or in the same course.
- Minimum age is 11 years old if taking the course with a parent or guardian, the parent or guardian MUST be the one working with the child during the entire course, and be responsible for only ONE child.
- Children age 10 and under are not allowed to take the courses.
- Unattended minors are NOT allowed on the property. They must be escorted by a parent or guardian at all times or be enrolled in an appropriate course.
FACTORY NEW AMMUNITION ONLY- NO EXCEPTIONS
Due to the potential liability and hazards of using reloaded or remanufactured ammunition, all ammunition used for these courses must be New, Factory-made ammunition.
- We require the use of jacketed bullets.
- The bullet design may be full metal jacket (FMJ), total metal jacket (TMJ), jacketed soft point (JSP), or jacketed hollow point (JHP).
- Rifle ammunition CANNOT have a steel jacket or steel core.
- Steel jacketed bullets
- Steel core bullets
- Lead bullets with no jacket
- Armor piercing, tracers or any other incendiary ammunition
- Chesapeake Ammunition’s NiPac 9mm
Bring the following quantities of new, factory-made ammunition for your course.